Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Arrival!

We arrived at 5 AM Senegalese time this morning (about 1 AM back home). We got through customs easily, retrieved our luggage, and just had a lovely breakfast of croissants and instant coffee at our "university" (the West African Research Center) while we wait to check into our hotel at noon. I am insanely tired, but so happy to be here!
The airport was named after Leopold Senghor - who I named my blog after.
Cool instrument - a kora maybe?

First impressions - lots of sand and lots of garbage. I hadn't expected the ground to literally be sand. Also there is an incredible amount of garbage just strewn everywhere. Poverty is obvious, but there are also many modern buildings mixed in with the crumbling. I haven't been able to photograph too much yet, but I will soon.

Now we're about to go take a walk on the beach ;) More soon!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are there safe, great to see your first impressions and PHOTOS when i got up this a.m... can't wait to talk to you....love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca
    Glad you made it in ok! Those are some great shots! Praying for you for a great trip there! Thanks for the text message upon your arrival. I was tracking the plane all the way there and didnt go to bed until it landed safely :)
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have friends from Ghana. Different country, different culture. Still, I'm hoping to follow your blog to get an idea what life is like over there. Some aspects are bound to be similar.

    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca you probably don't remember me it's Mrs. Morey, Sue to you now as you are all grown up. It's wonderful to see and hear of your adventures which are happening every day now. Enjoy every new thing each day. God Bless you. Love Mrs Morey Sue<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I remember your Mrs. Morey. Thank you all for your support and following along with me :) Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete