Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Maa ngi fi rek

I love language. I am, quite sadly, terrible at it. But its transcendent nature is so appealing to me. This chair I sit on is not really a chair. It is an object, the form of which exists in some metaphysical land inside our brains. The English language has labeled it a “chair,” allowing you to understand what I mean when I use this word. Similarly, each language has created a combination of sounds to refer to this same object. The communication language allows us is a thing of such beauty. What I need, what I want, what I feel – can all be expressed if I just find the right syllables.

We recently had a lesson in Wolof, one of the native languages spoken fairly universally in Senegal. It was fun to pick up a few phrases, but I really enjoy the literal translations into English. Many times they are able to convey the desires of our heart with a simplicity that gets lost in our day-to-day interactions.

For example, the typical Wolof greeting goes something like this:

Salam maalekum = Peace be with you

Maalekum salaam = And also with you

Nanga def? = How are you

Maa ngi fi rek (pronounced Mangee fee reck)

This last line, the answer to how are you, literally translates as “I am here only.” Meaning nothing has happened to me, I am not here with hurt or pain – I am just here. 


Photo credits to Beth - who is clearly much better at using my camera than I am!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're having a great time Becca! Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete