Monday, June 13, 2011

The Before

 So where exactly is Senegal?


There it is! And there I will be for the next three weeks!

Since it is technically a study abroad trip, I am required to create a blog to receive the credit. Although I plan to attempt an ongoing narrative, I have no idea how often I'll actually be able to post while I'm gone (depending on time and wireless access). It may end up being mostly created upon my return.

I bet you all have some ideas in your head of what I will see and experience. We all have our own belief of what "Africa" is. And as a reference to give me the ability to re-evaluate my perceptions post-trip, I will make a list.

Here are my most honest (ridiculous or shallow as they may be) expectations:

1. To be surrounded by music at all times.

2. Come home with loads of amazing jewelry. And completely broke.

3. Experience a family unit very different than the isolated nuclear units of Western civilization. Here, even within our families we each have our own space in the house and are afforded much psychological space. I expect the Senegalese family unit to be much more extensive and inclusive. By way of this - I expect to have very little space or privacy. As someone who has always needed quite a bit of alone time, I think this will be difficult for me.

4. To love the food, but to hate the "tea" served in the evenings. The Senegalese traditionally gather as a family and have 3 rounds of green tea, each stronger than the last. The last round is supposed to be quite bitter, as the tea has become very concentrated by then. Since I like my coffee and tea very sweet (and am terrible at pretending to like food when I don't), I expect to more or less suffer through this so as not to offend my host.

5. Gain a greater understanding of the Islamic culture. The majority of Senegal is Muslim, and the call to prayer will be announced five times a day. This kind of submersion in Islam will be a first for me.

6. Learn to effectively haggle. Become a little proficient in French.

7. Get to wear one of those African head wraps! Always so jealous of those! Who wants to do their hair every day, seriously.

8. One of the only things that really makes me angry is inequality for women (and inequality in general). Seeing or hearing or reading about a lack of education and opportunity for women makes me uncharacteristically mad. I expect to see a lot of this and become more educated myself on the particular obstacles women in this part of the world face.

9. To fall in love with another culture, another language, another people. To be greatly and permanently altered.

More to come! I leave in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. "To be greatly and permanently altered" very well spoken! ...well written. I love your writing! - Rrita D.

    ReplyDelete