Sunday, June 19, 2011

Highly embarrassing

Sooooooooo at our orientation to WARC (Western African Research Center), we were told that our laundry would be done for us, but we would be expected to wash our own undergarments. Following these instructions - I thought tonight would be a good night to do that. The power was out so I, of course, put my head lamp on for hands free lighting. I started filling with water what appeared to be a little basin just made for washing my clothes. At this moment, Mama Aida choose to walk by. She did not comment on my head lamp, but was clearly confused about what I was doing.

I managed to convey that I was washing my clothes. She said the laundry would get done tomorrow. At this point, I called Beth in as translator to ask if it was okay if my undergarments were in with the laundry. Mama Aida then took my pile of things and went through each one. She obviously laughed at my underwear, but said it was fine. After she left, Beth informed me I was washing my clothes in a bidet. I only sort of know what this is, but apparently it is for washing something quite other than clothes....

Pretty sure this is a classic mistake ;) but for your amusement, Beth and I decided to recreate the moment.


Goodnight America! 

3 comments:

  1. Too funny Bec...hope you have an amazing trip! _Sammie & Wesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so funny, even funnier, somehow grandma and grandpa were looking at the puppies, then they must have hit this link and they were like it looks like becca and a toilet, in an orange dress...i hadn't seen this post yet so i was like WHAT???.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely classic travel goof! No worries... I had some problems like that when I spent time in the Soviet Union (before it went back to being Russia). I can't help to also note that you blogged about the "modernization" and "pointing west to America". It doesn't matter, there are certain things that will just never seem to catch up to the west!! :) Great dress. I want one!

    ReplyDelete